While most everything is probably recyclable somewhere, in this area of the nation are limited to what is accepted in the local markets. Anything in the blue box or a Shanks clear plastic bag/tag, other than the following, turns into regular refuse and will be treated as regular refuse.
- GLASS: Only clean washed out food containers WITHOUT LIDS.
WE CAN NOT ACCEPT: canning jars, window glass, ash trays or ceramics.
- METAL: Only clean washed out food containers WITHOUT LIDS, flattened if possible.
NO other metal items.
- PLASTIC: Only clean, washed out food and drink containers – flattened if possible, (Numbered 1-9 only).
NO plastic ties or bags.
- PAPER: Only clean newspapers and magazines, bundled if possible. If you include envelopes or anything loose, these items must be contained in a clear plastic bag and tied to prevent littering.
- CORRUGATED CARDBOARD: If cut up into small pieces, 2 feet by 2 feet or less, that will fit into our recycling unit will be accepted. Pizza boxes and other boxes contaminated by food will not be accepted.
All recyclables should be placed in the blue box together as they are sorted by machinery at the recycling plant. It is important to contain any loose items so they do not fly out of the truck and litter the highways.
BY LAW WE CANNOT ACCEPT THE FOLLOWING ITEMS:
Oil containers of any kind Refrigerants (Freon items)
Paint or any liquid material Styrofoam or tinfoil
Electronic items of any kind Animal or human waste
Tires & car batteries Any hazardous material
Cement, stone, brick, dirt Lawn clippings, leaves, brush, tree limbs